Lu-na-sin (loo nə sĭn)
A naturally-occurring soy peptide, discovered by UC Berkely scientist Dr. Alfredo Galvez in 1996 as a result of his research to improve the nutritional profile of soy protein.
- The Lunasin peptide is contained in LunaRich®, a soy powder exclusive to Reliv products.
- LunaRich® delivers five to ten times as much bioactive lunasin as ordinary soy powder.
- The genome is the blueprint of life, the DNA that makes you unique. The epigenome acts as a series of switches, telling the genome which genes to turn on and which to turn off.
- This process of turning on and off is called “gene expression.”
- While you cannot change your DNA, you can, through your lifestyle, influence how your genes are “expressed.”
- Poor lifestyle means poor gene expression; healthy lifestyle means healthy gene expression.
- Lunasin is one of the first dietary ingredients identified to affect gene expression and promote optimal health.
- High blood total cholesterol levels and high LDL are proven risk factors for coronary heart disease.
- In 1999, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a health claim for soy protein, noting that soy could lower blood total cholesterol and LDL or “bad” cholesterol levels.
- Additionally, it was noted that soy protein offers these benefits without adversely affecting HDL or “good” cholesterol levels.
- Further research by Alfredo F. Galvez sought to prove that lunasin is the active agent in soy responsible for these benefits.
- Dr. Galvez produced a lunasin extract that is 100-200 times more potent than typical a soy isolate.
- Dr. Galvez’s research proved lunasin to be responsible for the LDL cholesterol lowering benefit associated with soy.
- These findings were published in the American Heart Associations journal Circulation in 2012.
Meet Our Research Leaders
Dr. Carl Hastings
Reliv Vice Chairman and Chief Scientific Officer
- Ph.D. in Food Science from University of Illinois
- Nearly 40 years in food product research and development
- Conducted key research on nutritional food products and developed low-calorie foods marketed under the Weight Watchers label for Mead Johnson & Co.
- Developed new applications for food ingredients developed from corn and soybeans at A.E. Staley Company
- Joined Reliv International shortly after its founding in 1988
- Created a comprehensive line of nutritional supplements and earned nine product patents
- Member of board of directors of the Council for Responsible Nutrition
- Ranked #9 out of more than 5,000 CSOs in 2012 according to ExecRank
Dr. Alfredo Galvez
Chief Scientific Officer at SL Tech, a Reliv Company
- Ph.D. in Genetics from University of California, Davis
- BS and MS degrees in Genetics and Plant Physiology from University of Philippines
- Discovered the lunasin peptide in 1996 during postdoctoral research at University of California Berkley
- Holds 8 patents on lunasin technology
- 2013 Outstanding Alumni in Molecular Biology, University of the Philippines
- Innovative Minds in Prostate Cancer Today (IMPaCT), US Dept. of Defense, 2011
- 2010 Philippine Development (PhilDev) Foundation Awardee in Science and Engineering
- American Association of Cancer Research (AACR) minority researcher awardee
- Currently focused on the development of functional food and nutraceutical ingredients based on the lunasin peptide
Blood Glucose & Body Weight
- Eight-week clinical trial consisting of 50 overweight adults.
- Half of the subjects were given Reliv GlucAffect and half a non-active control product (placebo).
- Subjects taking GlucAffect lowered their blood fasting glucose by an average of 30%.
- No significant glucose lowering was found in the control group.
- Those taking GlucAffect lost an average of nearly 16 pounds.
- No significant effect on body weight was found in the control group.
- In a clinical trial, Cardiosentials proved effective in significantly reducing two risk factors for heart disease and stroke: elevated cholesterol and elevated glucose.
- Total cholesterol was lowered 7% and LDL was lowered 9%.
- Triglycerides were decreased 13%
- HDL (good cholesterol) increased 4%.
- The ratio of bad to good cholesterol (LDL/HDL), another heart disease risk factor, declined 13%
- Trial involved individuals taking statin medications and participants not taking statins.
- 60-day clinical study consisting of adult patients with lipid abnormalities
- Reliv Now and FibRestore:
- Proved effective in correcting lipid abnormalities and therefore may help in lowering the risk for cardiovascular disease.
- Reduced average cholesterol by 14%.
- Reduced average LDL by 18% and 8%, respectively.
- Reduced average triglycerides by 1.2% and 12.4%, respectively.
- Reduced average uric acid by 10.4% and 16.7%, respectively.
- Greater reduction in cholesterol and triglycerides among diabetic or overweight individuals.
- Clinical study measuring the improvement in radiation-induced fatigue for cancer patients who used Reliv products for 1-4 weeks.
- This was a “feasibility study,” and while the results were significant, their scientific accuracy would need to be vetted through a controlled trial.
- Patients were given Reliv Classic and Innergize!
- 75% of participants considered their result as helping their fatigue.
- 25% of the entire group reported an “excellent” response.
- There was no harm done to those who reported no response (except one with a few episodes of vomiting).
Weight Loss, Heart Health, and Metabolic Wellness
- Eight-week clinical study of pigs supplemented with Reliv Now and LunaRich X.
- The physiology of pigs is very similar to humans, especially in liver function.
- Results included a decrease in weight gain and a 65% reduction in free fatty acid (FFA) levels, a biomarker associated with obesity and metabolic syndrome.
- 64% increase in levels of leptin, a hormone that signals the brain when the body has had enough food, producing the feeling of fullness.
- 60% increase in levels of adiponectin (ADP), a hormone from fat cells that controls energy metabolism.
- There is no existing treatment for improving these three biomarkers (free fatty acids, leptin and adiponectin).
- This study of Reliv Now in combination with LunaRich X yielded dramatic results in those areas.